You are viewing a version of the Spruce Run website formatted for printing.
Skip to main content
Need to leave this site quickly?
24 Hour Hotline 1-800-863-9909
Steps to Take
Here are some steps to consider if someone is stalking you…
- Call the Spruce Run-Womancare Alliance hotline at 1.800.863.9909 for help making a safety plan.
- Tell the stalker to leave you alone – firmly and only once. Don’t negotiate or engage in conversation.
- Keep a stalking incident logand record every occurrence, including date, time, description of what happened, and the names of any witnesses.
- Make copies if you get a restraining order, and always keep one with you.
- Save everything the stalker sends you – letters, emails, gifts.
- Get a post office box from a private company – like a local mailing center or shipping store – and use it instead of your home address. If you need to receive a package from FedEx or another company that won’t deliver to a PO Box, use the word “Apartment” instead when giving your address.
- Screen calls with an answering machine.
- Save any voicemail messages from the stalker or record them with a tape recorder and save the tape.
- Call the Unlawful Call Center at 1.800.518.5507 to report and get help documenting harassing or threatening phone calls.
- Learn where the 24-hour stores are located and go there or to a hospital emergency room – anywhere there are a lot of people – if someone is following you. Then call the police. Don’t go home.